The primary role of a Medical PA is to provide professional medical PA and secretarial support to the consultants (clients) of Designated Medical. The Medical PA will perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital or clinic procedures to support consultants on a remote basis from their own home office.
Supports consultant by representing physicians; screening and sorting mail, documents, and telephone calls; scheduling patient appointments and arranging referrals; billing patients and third-party payers; controlling accounts receivables; transcribing dictation; preparing medical reports, patient histories, operative notes, manuscripts, and correspondence; maintaining office files and patient records.
Patient / appointment handling
Represents consultants by screening incoming telephone calls; recording and transmitting messages; scheduling, receiving, and announcing scheduled patients and visitors; screening unscheduled patients and visitors; arranging referrals to other health care providers; scheduling appointments for consultations, x-rays, lab tests, physical therapy, MRI's, CT scans, etc.
Ensures physician productivity by maintaining calendars; scheduling patient appointments; physician consultations; professional meetings, conferences; teleconferences, and travel.
Dictation / typing
Produces information by transcribing dictation, preparing medical reports and summaries, patient histories, operative notes, manuscripts and correspondence; planning, organising, coordinating and controlling projects.
Generates revenues by completing direct patient and third-party billing; monitoring accounts receivables; initiating collection calls and reminders.
Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
Provides historical reference by developing and utilising filing and retrieval
Secures information by completing database back-ups.
Maintains quality results by following and enforcing standards.
Serves and protects the health care community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures.
Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
Enhances physician office reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Knowledge of the private medical industry
- Excellent knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent Telephone manner
- Excellent Typing skills, experience of dictation software (at least 45wpm)
- Business and knowledge of the private medical industry
- Time Management
- Customer Service- ability to be helpful and reassuring in dealing with patients
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- PC Proficiency – working knowledge of cloud based systems and software
- Technically astute and able to grasp new software / applications easily.
- Reporting Skills
- Attention to detail, work accurately and methodically
- Strong relationship builder, with ability to work and build rapport with all types of people
- Highly motivated